Heinz Architectural Center
The museum’s collection has always represented architecture. In fact, the Hall of Architecture, which opened in 1907, is now one of only three architectural cast courts that remains intact in the world and the only one in North America. The opening of the Heinz Architectural Center in 1993, however, inaugurated a new era of architectural interest at Carnegie Museum of Art. The Heinz Center, a gift of the Drue Heinz Foundation, comprises one of the most extensive facilities devoted to architecture in an American art museum. The Center’s collection focuses on drawings, prints, and models, most from the 19th and 20th centuries. Information and images of many of the center’s objects can be accessed through our online collections search reflecting the broad scope of the Heinz Center’s collecting program. The Heinz Architectural Center, the work of Cicognani Kalla Architects, New York, is an innovative synthesis of Classicism and Modernism that alludes to the original building design of Carnegie Institute without mimicking it. The Center has its own galleries for the presentation of temporary exhibitions and also houses a study room and offices.